THE HISTORY OF GREY LYNN PARK Based in the spiritual heart of Grey Lynn at Grey Lynn Park, Auckland, New Zealand in 1883 the land surrounding Grey Lynn Park was subdivided and the houses were built. The area that is now Grey Lynn Park was too steep to build houses on. In 1914 the area was drained and flattened so sport could be played. The Richmond Rovers Rugby League Club was set up.
Flood lights have been at the park since the 1950s. In the 1960s the Grey Lynn Park paddling pool was built. Between 1993 and 1996 a sculpture park was built named Rose Gully. The Council in 2002 were looking at ways to develop the park to make it better for the people who live in the Grey Lynn area. In 2020 a new Changing room block was built for the ever-growing sports of Rugby league, touch gridiron (American football), and tag.
The Richmond Rovers Rugby League Club has been a focal point of the Grey Lynn community for well over 100 years where it celebrated its Centennial year in 2013. In the formative years of rugby league in New Zealand, Richmond emerged as a strong club. Richmond wase first combined with other clubs and then became independent as a junior club.
THE RICHMOND ROVERS RUGBY LEAGUE CLUB BETWEEN 1912 - 1913. The employees at Mr. B. W. Davis' Boot Factory and Elliott's had been attracted to the novelty of the new game (The league code was in its fourth season in New Zealand), and although unable to field full sides of thirteen, were so eager to embark under the new banner that a scratch game was played between the two factories with teams of seven a side.
The seed was well sown, for in the following year (1913) these enthusiasts resolved to form a Club and affiliate with the Auckland Rugby League, and the Richmond Rovers Football Club was born.
The first team fielded was a junior one, and the Club affiliated with the Eden Ramblers. The first Vice President was Mr. B.W Davis. Mr. Davis, founder of the Club, and now passed away, maintained an eager interest in the club and affairs at Richmond, particularly in the junior spheres of the game.
The first Richmond team didn't win a match. Youth and keenness, however, made the game’s most enjoyable. The club had as secretary that first season Mr. G. Edlin and the balance sheet at the end of 1913 was 18/11.
The first team to take the field was: B.W Davis, G. Edlin, E. Maguire, F. Harvey, G. Ness, C. Thompson, W. Kirk, R. Greer, G. Tait, J. Thompson, R. Bowles, S. Wilkinson, J.B. Bovaird and F. Corbett.
Picture Insert: Fred Ah Kuoi, first New Zealand Kiwis Captain of Samoan heritage.
TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Fullback: Bert Cooke (Kiwis 1932-1935)
Wing: Nigel Vagana (Kiwis 1998-2006: 38 Tests, Most Test tries)
Centre: Tom Baxter (Kiwis 1949-1956)
Centre: Morrie Robertson (Kiwis 1946-1951)
Wing: Vern Bakalich (Kiwis 1953 -1958)
Stand off: Fred Ah Kuoi Kiwis1975-1986)
Halfback: Shane Varley (Kiwis 1978-1984)
Prop: Cliff Johnson - Captain (Kiwis 1950/51-1954 to1960)