The centre of the cycling community on the Kapiti Coast
Ride with us! Group rides
Sunday Club Rides
There is a regular Sunday group ride run by the club. You don't have to be a member to ride with us, but KCC membership is encouraged, as is participation in the KCC event programme. There is a recreational membership option for those who want to join the club but do not want to partake in national level racing. Your membership includes 3rd party insurance - something we hope you will never need, but it's good to know you are covered!
Details are as follows, with info on how to contact the leader of each group to find out more. Ride details are generally posted on our Facebook page each week (see embedded on this page), but just pitching up to the rides at the start time is fine too. We'd love to see you there!
The 80/20 Group - meets 8am Farmers (Rimu Rd side of Coastlands) carpark
This is an endurance ride based on the polarised method of training, where 80% of your time is spent at endurance levels (the other 20% is not factored into this ride!)
Rides are about 60-120kms long, at an endurance pace for the group, and depending on riders on a given Sunday, and may split up into a faster and more moderate paced group
The pace is most often consistent throughout the ride and is a no-drop ride
This group is strong on culture, bunch rotatation and keeping together.
This is a no-drop ride.
12-week Structured Training Group - meets 8am Farmers (Rimu Rd side of Coastlands) carpark
From time to time, Glynis and Adrian offer a 12-week structured training group.
This is designed to take people from relative beginner (on a road bike) to riding progessively longer distances.
Each weekly session focuses on a few specific essential skills, a short practice in the carpark, then heads out for a bunch ride together.
There is no age or fitness limit, and this an ideal way to get into, or back into road riding.
The rides are very much about developing good bunch riding and cycle skills, with the added bonus of getting some kms in the legs.
There are many riding groups enjoying the beautiful Kapiti Coast each week, catering for all types of rider, which many KCC members also ride with.
Kapiti Kruzers Road bikes/e-bikes An inclusive social group with a no-drop policy that is typically split into three separate bunches based on pace. Rides are between 50-75 kms long with bunch speeds varying from 22-34 kph. Post ride coffee at Mahara Place, Waikanae Beach.
Meet: Saturday 8.30am at the southern (Estuary) end of Queens Drive, Waikanae. Contact: Garry Aitchison 021 811 900
Midweek Casual Kruzers: Road/MTB/e-bikes A faster group and an easy to moderate paced social group who match the speed of the slowest rider, with regular re-groups to keep the bunch together. Two weekly rides with a different focus on each day. On Tuesday there are two groups, an MTB/e-bike flat ride on local trails and cycleways (keeping off the roads) of between 30-40 kms and a faster-paced road ride, which tends to seek a shorter, hillier ride. Thursday is a road-bike ride over easy terrain of between 40-50 kms. Both rides have at least one cafe coffee stop.
Meet: 9am Otaihanga Domain both mornings. Contact: John Christian 021 248 1498
* faster group meets at 8.30am on Tuesday mornings.
Kapiti Mountain Bike Club: MTB bikes The Club have an MTB advocacy role in Kapiti, helping organise working bees to maintain and develop the MTB tracks on Whareroa Farm. They don’t have regular organised club group rides, but if you’re looking for route/ride advice based on your ability or would like to meet other riders on the Coast for a spin. Contact: Steve Lewis 027 249 7683
Ricky’s Group: Road bikes A friendly group who make the most of the quiet roads early on a Sunday monring. Routes and post-ride cafes vary, the distance is usually 80-100 km and bunch speed between 28-32 kph. Meet: Sunday 7am Waikanae Mobil Station (old main road). Contact: Ricky Field 027 608 9962
Paramata Silver Tops: Road bikes A social group of road cyclists who organise a weekly bunch ride at a speed of 25- 28 kph over distances of up to 75 km. Post ride coffee and chat is highly encouraged. The group try for a least one in-house bike tour each summer. Meet: Saturday 8am Station Road, Paramata (near the Mobil Station). Contact: Neil Holden 021 190 8920
Kapiti Cycling Club on Strava
There is a Kapiti Cycling Club group set up on Strava. This is a good way to see what other groups and rides there are (lots of informal ones, besides these!) https://www.strava.com
Click HERE to see the details of the club on Strava and please join in if you are a KCC member. It's great to see what others are up to and helps with the motivation to keep training when you are surrounded by others that are training hard.