Southern RFC was established in 1994 as the result of an amalgamation of the Hinds and Mayfield Rugby Football Clubs that served the southern part of the Mid-Canterbury province.The club maintains clubrooms and grounds in both townships.

The Mayfield club started in 1918 and rugby was first played in the Hinds area as early as 1904, but it was 1922 before the club became officially affiliated.

The blue, red and white colours represent a combination of the colours of the two merged clubs. They were worn proudly by 13 teams in 2017 ranging from Under 8s to Seniors and Golden Oldies.

The club serves the Mid Canterbury Rugby Union rural area south of the Ashburton River and has four well-maintained playing fields at the Hinds Domain and two in Mayfield.

The club has changing/showering facilities and floodlights for night training at Hinds. After-match functions are held principally in the Hinds clubrooms and occasionally at Mayfield