Pirates Old Boys is an Invercargill based rugby club with three senior teams playing the Southland wide competiton as well as junior teams for boys and girls from under 6 rippa to Under 13 tackle.
Pirates Old Boys formed at the end of 2000 season under the guise of the Eastern Suburbs Rugby Club. The idea of new name was to help with the transitioning of the two clubs into one. The Hawk was chosen as the club logo being a native bird of prey local to the area. During the course of the following years the club was referred to as the Eastern Hawks then in 2011 the club changed its name to Pirates Old Boys as a better reflection of our history.
The Pirates Rugby Club formed in 1883 and Old Boys Rugby Club later on in 1928 (with some of the club founders being breakaway members of the Pirates club). Together the clubs have produced 19 All Blacks, 6 NZ Rugby presidents, managers and numerous provincial representatives.
The two former clubs incidentally played the 1989 senior season as Old Boys Pirates. A precursor to todays club.
Pirates Old Boys is based at Surrey Park, Lithgow Street.