Colours: Gold & navy jersey, navy shorts, gold and white hooped socks.
The Te Papapa Club was first formed in 1944 with two schoolboy teams.
It was formed by a committee of local people headed by Mr Tom Westcott who was appointed secretary. Included in this group were Messrs Monaghan, McLellan, Meredith and Cross. At this time the Te Papapa area was being developed and a large area of State Housing was being built, creating a large influx of young families and young children. With recreation facilities in the area very limited a sports club complex was envisaged.
As the club had no grounds or club facilities the Te Papapa Primary School grounds were used for training, and Mr Westcott's home for committee meetings.
In 1946 the Onehunga Borough Council provided use of its old animal pound for training. A small changing shed was erected and a few lights were provided. In the summer of 1946 our original clubrooms at Captain Springs Road were started with voluntary labour under the guidance of Mr Bernie Anderson. These were completed in 1947 and enabled indoor sporting activities to be introduced — namely — bowls', table tennis and darts. Cricket and softball teams were started as summer sports and girls' basketball teams prepared.
In these early years a large number of junior rugby teams were the strength of our club and a lot of these boys progressed through to Senior Rounds. For many years we shared Waikaraka Park with our nearest club, Manakau, until the ground was developed near Oranga Avenue and called Furgusson Park. A small changing shed was erected and this became our home ground.
In 1967, after much hard work by many club members, new premises were built and were amongst the best in Auckland, with indoor and outdoor training facilities and social rooms. In the early 1960s our Senior B side was involved every year in the promotion-relegation series but missed narrowly on promotion each time.
Our junior teams won many Auckland Rugby Union championships in the 1950s and 60s. One team won three championships in a row and one year played 20 games without losing or having a point scored against it.
Without doubt the most exciting year in our club's history was 1969 when our senior team won promotion to Senior A for 1970. The team was coached by Alan Rear who, after having left the club in 1964 to play Senior A for Otahuhu, returned as player/coach, something new to Auckland Rugby. The contribution made to Auckland Rugby by our Senior Team in 1970 was tremendous. They captured the limelight by playing non-stop rugby and defeating many of the glamour sides. Some of the largest crowds for many years at Eden Park for club games followed their progress. The Gascoigne brothers Willy and Basil were members of this team and their thrilling play will be remembered for many years.
The mid 1970s saw further development when the indoor training area was converted to three squash courts. This brought a considerable number of new members and increased the facilities available to existing members.
The club has been supported very strongly by an energetic women's committee over the years and without their support our club would not be in position it enjoys today. So from a small beginning in 1944 Te Papapa now offers extensive sporting and social activities. The aim of our Club is to promote sport within the community so young and old alike can enjoy the facilities provided by so many unselfish and dedicated members during the Club's existence.
Fergusson Domain is a large, multi-purpose reserve of more than six hectares, and lies in a predominantly residential area, bounded by Oranga Avenue, Waitangi Road, Roosevelt Avenue and Namata Road. It is an irregularly shaped site with a large level area on the eastern side and a series of higher terraces rising towards the western side.Natural rock outcrops occur in places in the western and southern parts of the reserve, with a large rocky outcrop adjacent to Melville Place being a particularly significant landscape feature.
We have two main playing fields, with field 1 being ideal for viewing from the club rooms and one practice field (up behind the club).
Te Papapa Onehunga Rugby Football Club - Fergusson Domain, Olea Road, Onehunga