Working in New Zealand

If You Are From A Country Other Than Australia And New Zealand You Must Have A Current Working Visa And IRD Number To Work In New Zealand

New Zealand currently has working holiday agreements with the UK, Canada, Chile, The Netherlands, Japan, Ireland, Korea, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Hong Kong, Italy, Malaysia, and is currently negotiating arrangements with a range of additional countries.

Australians do not need a work permit as a special agreement exists between the countries.

If you are from a country other than Australia and New Zealand you must obtain a work visa or permit.

To be eligible for a work visa under this scheme, applicants must:

  • Be citizens of one of the above countries ordinarily residing in that country at the time of applying
  • Satisfy the New Zealand Embassy that their main intention for coming to New Zealand is to holiday, and that employment is an incidental reason for the visit.
  • Have funds available for maintenance.
  • Agree to hold a comprehensive medical and comprehensive hospitalisation insurance that will remain current throughout their stay
  • Be aged between eighteen (18) and thirty (30) years, both inclusive, at the time of application
  • Not be accompanied by children
  • Possess a valid passport
  • Possess a return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket
  • There may be other requirements specific to the country you are applying in so if your unsure of the requirements its important to check with the New Zealand Immigration Service

More useful information for overseas players can be found at the following links;