We know that getting tamariki involved in physical activity provides them with a better start in life.
That's why Sport New Zealand has partnered with the Ministry of Health and The Minsitry of Education on the exciting initative Healthy Active Learning.
At Sport Canterbury we currently work into 86 Primary and Intermediate schools across our region, with 61 in Ōtautahi Christchurch, 10 in Mid-Canterbury, 11 in South Canterbury and 5 on the West Coast.
Our team of facilitators and community connectors work closely with school staff and communities working towards 6 broad outcomes:
• Supporting schools and kura to understand and recognise the value of the health and physical education and hauora curriculum
• Supporting schools and kura to create an environment that supports and promotes quality play, sport and physical activity
• Supporting teachers and kaiako to be confident and capable in delivering the health and physical education and hauora curriculum
• Supporting schools and kura to create a healthy food and drink environment Supporting schools and kura to make well informed decisions when engaging with external providers
• Supporting schools and kura to strengthen their connections with their wider community, including whānau and local health and physical activity providers
Locally we are working collaborately with our partners at Te Whatu Ora and the Ministry of Education so that collectively we can have a measureable impact on the wellbeing of tamariki across Waitaha Canterbury.
The initiative involves co-design of local curriculum to improve tamariki wellbeing. Healthy Active Learning school and kura have access to:
A skilled workforce who will collaboratively support school and kura to create healthy and active learning environments, and better connection to communities
Toolkits to create healthy food and drink environments
Resources to support quality delivery of the Health and Physical Education and Hauora curriculum.
Physical Activity Leaders (PALs) is an empowering leadership programme delivered by Sport Canterbury, designed to build the capability and confidence of our tamariki. The overarching goal of PALs is to not only enhance but also champion the benefits of play and physical activity within their respective kura, with a particular emphasis on nurturing the well-being of the younger students. The PALs programme is available to all primary and intermediate schools across all Sport Canterbury regions.