The Waipukurau Mens’ Bowling Club was officially opened in 1908 on a block of land fronting Francis Drake Street. A short while after this a small clubhouse was built and in the 1920s an area next to the green was developed as a croquet green. The Ladies Bowling Club was opened in the 1950s and operated separately from the Men. The Ladies even had to use a different entrance gate to the men.
An upgrade to facilities in the 1980s saw boundary fences rebuilt, greens equipment replaced and a greenkeepers shed constructed. Fundraising saw ‘B’ green replaced with an all-weather surface in 1999 and replaced with a new surface again in 2015. The lawn surface ‘A’ green is being redeveloped this year and will be in action again by the end of the year, weather permitting.
There is one grass green and one artificial green with play continuing throughout the year. The club hosts competitive and social bowls and is available most of the time for casual bowling.
New members are always welcome and there are accredited coaches available to help new and current members.
The club facilities including a bar are available to hire for social functions.
Waipukurau Bowling Club, Francis Drake Street, Waipukurau. Phone 068588759
President Barry Fuller 068589324, Secretary Mary Sutton 0272726023