1. The name of the Club shall be The Wainuiomata Tennis Club (Incorporated).
2. The object of the Club shall be the playing and promotion of the game of Lawn Tennis.
3. The Registered Office of the Club shall be at the residence of the Secretary for the time being of the said Club. Notice of every change of Office shall be given to the Registrar of Incorporated Societies by the Secretary.
4. MEMBERS: The members of the Club shall consist of:
a. Life Members b. Senior Active Members c. Junior Active Members d. Midweek Members e. Under-14 Junior Members f. Honorary Members g. Visiting Members.
5.LIFE MEMBERS shall enjoy all the rights and privileges of Senior Active Members and shall comprise such persons as are elected by a majority of the Committee for meritorious services rendered to the Club and whose election is confirmed by a majority of not less than two-thirds of the members of the Club present at the Annual General Meeting next succeeding such election by the Committee as aforesaid.
6. SENIOR ACTIVE MEMBERS shall consist of such members as the Committee for the time being shall determine.
7. INTERMEDIATE ACTIVE MEMBERS Persons 15 years but under the age of 18 years as at 1st August may be admitted as Intermediate Active Members of the Club and the Committee of the Club shall have power to limit the numbers of members so admitted.
Intermediate Members shall have equal playing rights with all other members on week days until 5pm but after that hour and on Saturdays and Sundays must give precedence to Senior Members unless special permission to play has been granted by the Committee. Any Intermediate Members may become entitled to all the privileges of a Senior Active Member on payment of the full Senior Membership Subscription.
On attaining the age of eighteen, Intermediate members shall become Senior Members or resign from the Club, but if the age of eighteen is attained after the beginning of a season, they shall not become liable to full subscription till the following season.
8. MIDWEEK MEMBERS shall have equal playing rights with all other members on Mondays to Fridays inclusive, up till 5pm.
9. JUNIOR MEMBERS Persons 11 years but under the age of 15 years as at 1st August may be admitted as Junior Members of the Club and the Committee shall have the power to limit the number of members so admitted. Children under 11 years will be admitted at the discretion of the Committee based on ability. However, on the recommendation of the Junior Convener in liaison with the Club Captain, the names of any further promising players may be submitted to the Management Committee for their consideration that these players may also be admitted as Junior Active Members.
Under 15 Junior Members shall have equal playing rights subject to requirements of all other Members. The four finalists in the Under 15 singles Championship of the previous season to be given the opportunity, irrespective of age, of becoming Intermediate Active Members.
10. HONORARY MEMBERS shall have access to the Clubs courts and pavilion, but shall not be entitled to play or participate in the management of the Club. In the event of an Honorary Member wishing to become an active member he shall be entitled to preference over other applicants for membership. Notice of such desire must be given in writing to the Committee.
11. VISITING MEMBERS. Members friends not resident in Wainuiomata district may be allowed to play on the courts not exceeding three times in one season, and then only at the discretion of the Committee. Notice of such desire to play shall be given to the Secretary of the Club.
The Committee may, however, permit such visiting members to play on the courts for weekly periods, renewable from week to week, on payment of a subscription of 50c for each weekly period or part thereof.
12. NEW MEMBERS TO BE BALLOTED FOR. All applicants for membership shall be subject to an election by ballot of the members of the Committee: one adverse vote in three shall exclude. A candidate shall be proposed by an active member and seconded by another active member, and the proposer, seconder and candidate shall sign and forward to the Secretary of the Club a form giving the name and address of the candidate and stating the class of membership for which he is proposed.
13. RESIGNATIONS. Any member wishing to withdraw from the Club must give intimation to that effect by letter addressed to the Secretary, and such intimation must be made not later than the date of the Annual Meeting, otherwise the member will be liable for the subscription for the ensuing year.
14. SUBSCRIPTIONS. The amount of subscriptions payable by members shall be fixed at the Annual General meeting of the Club. An Annual General Meeting of the Club may fix an entrance fee to be paid by persons desirous of becoming members of the Club. Rebates may be set at the discretion of the Annual General Meeting each year. New members joining on or after the first day of February each year may be admitted on payment of the entrance fee and (at the discretion of the Committee) a reduced subscription.
15. SUBSCRIPTIONS DUE
a. Subscriptions shall become due on the 1st of August each year for the ensuing year, except as hereinafter provided. No member shall be entitled to participate in any of the meetings, competitions or privileges of the Club after 31st October in each Club year until entrance fee (if any) and subscriptions have been paid, except Interclub Players who must pay their subscriptions when registering for an Interclub Team.
If any members subscription remains unpaid after 31st October the name of the member may be posted in the Club House, and the Committee shall have power to remove the name of such member from the register of the Club but without releasing such member from any financial liability then outstanding by him to the Club. Any member whose name has been taken from the Roll under this Rule may be re-elected in the ordinary way upon payment of all sums due to the Club.
b. New members shall be liable for and shall pay their entrance fee and subscriptions on receiving notice of election and until they have done so shall not be entitled to the privileges of membership. If the payment be not made within fourteen days from date of notification the members name shall be erased from the Roll unless the Committee otherwise direct.
16. REMISSION OR REFUND OF SUBSCRIPTIONS. The Committee shall have power to remit or refund the whole or any portion of the subscription of any member if, in the opinion of the Committee such member, through exceptional circumstances, is entitled to such remission or refund and has ceased to be an active member of the Club.
17. CONDUCT OF MEMBERS. The Committee, on receiving a complaint in writing from four members that the conduct of any member is contrary to the Rules or inconsistent with the character or interests of the Club, shall have power to deal with the matter and to expel such member if they think fit. Such member may appeal from the decision of the Committee to the Club in General meeting, and in the event of any such appeal, the decision of the Committee must be confirmed by a majority of two-thirds of the members voting at such General Meeting.
18. MANAGEMENT. The only members who shall be entitled to vote at meetings or to take part in the Management of the Club shall be the Senior Active Members and Life Members.
19. OFFICERS. The officers of the Club shall consist of:
One President Vice Presidents Honorary Treasurer Honorary Secretary Membership Officer Honorary Auditor Honorary Solicitor and One Club Captain
All of whom shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting of members each year to hold office until the conclusion of the next Annual General Meeting. The Committee shall appoint a Male Vice Captain and Female Vice Captain and may appoint a Captain of the Midweek Section. The Offices of Secretary and Treasurer may be held in one person.
20. COMMITTEE. The Committee shall consist of the Secretary, Membership Officer, Treasurer and Club Captain, ex Officio, and eleven elected members. The President shall be the chairman of the Committee. The eleven elected members of the Committee shall be elected by and from the Senior Active Members of the Club at the Annual General Meeting. In the event of the Offices of Secretary and Treasurer being held in one person, the elected members of the Committee shall be ten in number. In addition, the Midweek Section shall be represented by their elected chairman, who shall not be their Club Captain. They shall hold office until the next Annual General Meeting of the Club, unless removed by a Special General Meeting of the Club. Any Members of the Committee absenting himself from three or more consecutive Committee meetings without leave shall ipso facto cease to be a member of the Committee, and shall cease to hold any office in the Club. In the event of a vacancy occurring in the elected members of the Committee, or in the positions of Secretary, Membership Officer, Treasurer, Club Captain, Auditor or Solicitor, whether occurring from death, resignation or otherwise, the remaining members of the Committee may fill up such a vacancy for the unexpired term of office.
The Committee may make and amend regulations with regard to play, which shall be binding on every member of the Club. The Secretary shall be the Convener of the Committee. The property of the Club shall be deemed to be vested in the Committee for the time being, which shall have all powers of the Club which are not expressly required to be exercised by the Club in General Meeting.
Without derogating from the general powers of the Committee hereinbefore mentioned, it is expressly declared that it shall have the following additional powers:
a.To carry out all contracts now or hereafter entered into by the club;
b. To borrow or raise money as the Committee shall think fit on the security of the real or personal assets of the Club, or any part or parts thereof or upon debentures, or mortgage debentures of the Club, or from bankers or any other persons or companies and with or without security, and to issue such debentures or mortgage debentures charging the whole or any part or the assets of the Club as the Committee shall from time to time deem expedient; and to execute all mortgages, liens, charges and other instruments to receive repayment of any monies so raised or to be raised as aforesaid and containing such covenants, agreements and powers as the Committee shall think fit;
c. To purchase, lease or acquire for the Club any real or personal property which the Club shall decider to purchase or lease, upon such terms and conditions as the committee thinks fit; and to give and execute mortgages over the lands purchased to secure the balances of the purchase money, and to sell or let any lands which the Club shall decide to sell or let, provided always that no land shall be purchased or sold except with the sanction of a resolution of the Club;
d. To employ and dismiss salaried officers and servants.
21. SUB-COMMITTEES. The Committee shall have power to appoint from time to time sub-committees consisting of any members of the Club whom it may deem suitable for the purpose, whether or not they are members of the Committee, and such sub-committees shall be directly responsible to the Committee and shall act under the directions and control of the Committee which may without notice disband any sub-committee so formed.
22. SECRETARY. The Secretary shall in person or by deputy attend each meeting of the Club and the Committee, keep full and correct minutes of the proceedings, read to the Committee all correspondence sent or received by the Club, file all letters and other papers, issue notices of meetings when directed, conduct all correspondence, keep records of all competitions of the Club and carry out all the usual functions of that office. He shall keep a register of the names and addresses of all members of the Club.
22.a MEMBERSHIP OFFICER. The Membership Officer shall assist the Secretary where directed, and will also be responsible to the Secretary for keeping a Register of the names and addresses of all members of the Club.
23. TREASURER. The Treasurer shall collect and account for all subscriptions and funds and disburse the monies of the Club under the authority of the Committee. He shall pay all monies, cheques and negotiable instruments received for or on behalf of the Club into such Bank as the Committee may direct. He shall make up an Annual Statement of Accounts and Balance Sheet as at 31 May which shall be duly audited before presentation to the Annual General Meeting.
24. AUDITOR. The accounts of the Club shall be audited by an Auditor who shall not be a member of the Committee.
25. SOLICITOR. The Solicitor of the Club shall not be a member of the Committee and all legal matters shall be referred to him for his opinion.
26. CLUB CAPTAIN. The duty of the Club Captain shall be to control the courts during the time of play and to be responsible for the proper conduct of all games.
27. INVESTMENT OF FUNDS. The surplus funds of the Club may be invested by the Committee in such securities as are approved by them. Deeds and other documents in connection with investments shall be in the name of the Club as an Incorporated Body and all dividends and interest arising out of such investments shall go to the funds of the Club.
27a. The funds held on Term Deposit for the Club with the National Bank of New Zealand Limited at Wainuiomata (or such other Bank as the Committee from time to time decides) be a Capital Works Account from which the moneys may only be withdrawn for expenditure on capital works. Capital works shall comprise court surface and fencing repairs or replacement, repainting of clubrooms, alterations or additions thereto, or any other purpose approved at a General meeting of the Club.
28. PAYMENT BY CHEQUE. No money over two dollars shall be paid unless by cheque signed by the Treasurer and countersigned by another member of the Committee appointed by the Committee for the purpose, and all payments shall be approved by the Committee.
29. ANNUAL MEETING. The Annual General meeting of the Club shall be held between the 1st day of July and the 31st day of August in each year at a date to be fixed by the Committee.
30. SPECIAL MEETING. A Special Meeting may be called at any time by the Committee. A special General Meeting must be called by the Secretary within fourteen days after receipt of a requisition signed by at least one-third of the Senior Active members of the Club, stating the object of the meeting.
31. NOTICE OF MEETING. Of all General Meeting, at least seven days notice, in writing, stating the business, shall be given to each member entitled to vote thereat.
32. QUORUM. At any General Meeting nine members entitled to vote shall constitute a quorum, and at any Committee Meeting five members. Any General or Committee meeting at which there shall not be a quorum shall stand adjourned to such date as shall be determined by the members present.
33. CLUB COLOURS. The colours of the Club shall be such as may from time to time be fixed by the Committee of the Club.
34. OFFICERS ELECTED BY BALLOT. The Officers of the Club shall be elected by ballot, except when the number nominated does not exceed the number of vacancies, in which case the Chairman shall declare those persons nominated to have been elected.
35. VOTING. The Rule in regard to voting at a General Meeting shall be as follows:
Each Senior Active Member present shall have one vote, and the Chairman shall have a casting vote as well as a deliberative vote. At Committee meetings each member of the Committee shall have one vote and the Chairman shall have a casting vote as well as a deliberative vote. The voting at Committee Meetings and at General meetings shall be on the voices and a declaration by the Chairman that a resolution has been carried on the voices and an entry in the Clubs Minute Book to that effect shall be conclusive evidence that such resolution has been carried, provided that any person who has voted on this resolution may demand a show of hands, in which case the Chairman shall declare the resolution to have been carried or not to have been carried in accordance with the votes recorded by the last named method. Provided further that should any member present and voting at such meeting desire a secret ballot, the voting shall be by secret ballot.
36. COMMON SEAL. The Club shall have a Common Seal which shall remain in the custody of the Honorary Secretary, and shall be affixed to such documents as the Committee shall by resolution decide in the presence of the Chairman of the Committee and the Honorary Secretary.
37. DISSOLUTION. The Club may be wound up if a resolution requiring the Club to be wound up is passed by a majority at a General Meeting of members and the resolution is confirmed at a subsequent General Meeting called together for that purpose and held not earlier than 30 days after the date on which the resolution so as to be confirmed was passed and the assets of the Club shall after all liabilities are paid be disposed of as such meeting shall decide.
38. ALTERATION TO RULES. No alteration or amendment to these rules shall be made unless such alteration or amendment is passed by a majority of two-thirds of the members voting at a General Meeting and unless fourteen days notice in writing shall have been given to the Secretary to propose such alteration or amendment.
39. INTERPRETATION. The decision of the Committee on the interpretation of these Rules shall be final.